Winter Health Problems in Women
Winter can create health problems especially in women, said Padmashri and Dr B C Roy National Awardee Dr KK Aggarwal President Heart Care Foundation of India. Following are some of the problems women might have to face:
1. Heart Disease: Heart disease kills more women than any other disease. It takes more lives than breast cancer, cervical cancer, or any other disease. Stroke and heart disease-related hospitalizations and deaths rise by more than 50 percent during the winter months.
2. Seasonal Affective Depression: This condition is characterized by having episodes of depression every year, but only during the winter. What the exact cause is yet to be discovered, but it is thought that body temperature, ambient light, and hormone regulation play a role.
3. Hypothermia: Hypothermia is as an abnormally low body temperature and can occur in cold weather. In cold weather one looses heat faster than one is able to create it. If this happens gradually one may not even realize it is happening. If the body temperature drops below 95 degrees Fahrenheit, one needs to see emergency medical care immediately in order to avoid death.
4. Vitamin D Deficiency: We are at an increased risk of vitamin D deficiency, especially during the winter month. Women who work in the house at times cannot take out time to give sunshine to their body. Vitamin D is essential for bone, immune system, and heart health. It may also help to prevent cancer.
5. Influenza: Flu is very common during the winter and has the potential to be deadly. One should not forget to take the flu shot.