New Delhi ,
The estimated coal resources in the North Eastern States of the country as per Coal Inventory of India published by GSI as on 01.04.2021 is 1739.37 million tonne and the state wise distribution are given below:-
STATE-WISE BREAK-UP OF INDIAN COAL RESOURCE
(Resource in million tonne) (Provisional)
Total 391 coal mines (operational) are being operated under Government agencies (CIL/SCCL/NLCIL). In North Eastern Region, the coal mines being operated under Government agencies are coal mines of North Eastern Coalfields, Coal India Limited, Margherita. At present only Tirap Colliery and Tikak Colliery are being operated and mining is being carried out only in Tikak Colliery.
Recently direction have been issued regarding successful bidder of 02 coal blocks located in Assam viz Garampani and Koilajan cola blocks
There is no loss due to illegal coal mining in 2021-22 from the working areas of North Eastern Coalfields (NEC). The responsibility to prevent illegal mining lies with the State Government agencies. In addition, NEC is also taking steps to prevent illegal mining is its working area as follows:-
- Joint operations with the state police against illegal coal mining.
- Patrolling of vulnerable areas by AISF.
- Deployment of DGR sponsored security personnel at strategic points.
- Installation of CCTV cameras at strategic points including coal dump area.
- Strict control at Colliery gates.
- Person involved in pilfering coal are apprehended and handed over to local Police.
This information was given by the Union Minister of Coal, Mines and Parliamentary Affairs Shri Pralhad Joshi