|Amar VarmaNew Delhi.
The Ministry of Railways (Railway Board) has constituted an Expert Committee for developing innovative funding techniques through Public Private Partnership (PPP) instruments. Kumari Mamata Banerjee, Minister for Railways, had earlier announced the formation of this committee in her Railway Budget speech in the Parliament.
The committee, under the chairmanship of Dr Amit Mitra, Secretary General, FICCI has been asked to start offering recommendations within fifteen days of its first meeting. It will identify economically unviable, but socially desirable projects for implementing them through innovative funding. It will also develop Vision 2020 for the railways.
The expert committee has been specifically asked to consider developing business models in respect of the Delhi – Mumbai industrial corridor, utilizing railway land bank along side the Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor for starting projects in rolling stock production, assembly facilities and coach rehabilitation at Dankuni-Majerhat-Nowpara, private freight terminals and multi modal logistics parks, private public participation in setting up the new coach factory at Kanchrappara – Halisahar Railway complex and setting up of a 1000 MW power plant at Adra in collaboration with the NTPC. The committee will consider developing world class stations and multi functional complexes.It will also review the status of progress of ongoing activities undertaken by the Railways.
The members of the committee are as follows:
• Shri Debabrata Bandyopadhyay, IAS (Retd), former Rural Development Secretary.
• Shri Udayan Bose, Chairman and founding partner, Tamara Capital Partners.
• Shri Saurabh Srivastava, Chairman, Indian Venture Capital Fund and Co founder, NASSCOM.
• Shri S Kulkarni.
• Shri S S Khurana, Chairman, Railway Board.
• Shri Shriprakash, Member, Traffic, Railway Board.
• Shri Rakesh Chopra, Member, Engineering, Railway Board.
• Smt Soumya Raghavan, Financial Commissioner, Railways.
• Shri Abdul Kalam, Former CMD, Eastern Coalfields.
• Shri V K Agnihotri, Former Member, Railway Board.
• Shri S Ramanathan, Former GM, Eastern Railway.
• AIRF Representative.
• NFIR Representative.
• Shri V K Gupta, Adviser (Land and Amenities), Railway Board.
• Shri Mahesh.V. Reddy, Senior Director, FICCI Member Secretary