New Delhi ,
In order to recognize India’s age old principles of Ayurveda and the Aahara prepared as per ancient texts, Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has formulated Food Safety and Standards (Ayurveda Aahara) Regulations, 2022 in consultation with the Ministry of Ayush and notified the regulations in the official gazette on 5th May, 2022.
The regulations define “Ayurveda Aahara” a food prepared in accordance with the recipes or ingredients or processes as per method described in the authoritative books of Ayurveda listed under ‘Schedule A’ of these regulations. The Regulations, inter-alia, exclude:
- Ayurvedic drugs or proprietary Ayurvedic medicines and medicinal products, cosmetics, narcotic or psychotropic substances,
- Herbs listed under Schedule E-1 of Drugs & Cosmetics Act, 1940 and Rules 1945 there under.
- Metals based Ayurvedic drugs or medicines, bhasma or pishti,
- Any other ingredients notified by the Authority from time to time,
- Food items in daily use (pulses, rice, flour, vegetables) without addition of Ayurveda ingredients.
For ease of identification and assurance about genuineness of the product, all such products shall carry word “AYURVEDA AAHARA” in close proximity to the product; and the specified logo in front of the pack of the label. The label shall carry statutory warning – ‘ONLY FOR DIETARY USE’. Other labelling requirements have also been specified.
FSSAI has formulated a logo for Ayurveda Aahar to create its unique identity for easy identification and the same was launched by the Minister for Health and Family Welfare on June 07,2022. FSSAI has undertaken widespread publicity of the Ayurveda Aahar logo through the website as well as across social media platforms.
Under the Convergence of Poshan Abhiyan, Ministry of Ayush is a key partner of Ministry of Women and Child Development. Ministry of Ayush has actively participated in the Jan andolan activities under Poshan Abhiyan celebrated as Poshan Pakhwada (around March) and Poshan Maah (during the month of September) every year. During the Rashtriya Poshan Maah theme wise activities are conducted throughout the country. These activities include awareness campaigns on Ayurveda for well being, awareness about regional and seasonal food, traditional food for healthy mother and child, recipe competition etc. Ministry had also chosen the theme “Ayurveda for Poshan” for the 6th Ayurveda Day that was celebrated on 2nd November, 2021.
Ministry of Ayush also participated in the celebration of Poshan Maah and Poshan Pakhwada organized by the Ministry of Women and Child Development through the National Institutes/Research Councils under the Ministry and had also requested to all the Ayush Departments of all the States/UTs for the same. The week wise activities covered under Rashtriya Poshan Maah to promote “Ayush Aahar” in the country are as under:
- First Week: Plantation activity in the form of Poshan Vatika at the spaces available in Aanganwadi Centres, Gram Panchayat, Schools, etc.
- Second Week: Yoga and Ayush for Nutrition (Yoga Sessions targeted for various groups like pregnant women, children and adolescent girls).
- Third Week: Distribution of Nutrition Kits comprising of regional nutritious food to beneficiaries of Aanganwadi along with IEC material in high burden districts.
- Fourth Week: Identification of Severely Acute Malnourished (SAM) children and organising Community Kitchen for the beneficiaries.
National Institutes and Research Councils under Ministry of Ayush has taken following measures to create awareness regarding ‘Ayurvedic Aahar’ –
- All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA) under Ministry of Ayush has organized Awareness lectures, camps to propagate significance of Ayurveda Ahara in nutrition. Further, following activities has also been conducted by AIIA –
- Development of IEC materials in public interest and propagation of Ayurveda Ahara through social media platforms,
- Organization of state and National level fairs, expo and food festivals of Ayurveda
- Development of Ayurveda Aharaat institutional level.
- Institute of Teaching and Research in Ayurveda (ITRA), Jamnagar has organized a Health Expo from 09th to 12th December, 2021 for spreading awareness in common public on Ayurveda for Poshan. An Ayurvedic food festival was conducted in 12 stalls with traditional and forgotten recipes of foods such as RagiIdli, Dhaniya Shots, Cereal and Ragi Soup, Ayurvedicbhel, Curcuminchocolates, Brahmi Sharbat, Drumstick leaves mixed Thepla, Amla Jam and Papaya barfi etc. Overall 22 different live food items and 34 packaged items were kept under selling in the Health Expo.
- National Institute of Ayurveda (NIA) under Ministry of Ayush had organised a three day long Ayush Expo and Food festival from 11th to 13th March’2022 at Shilpgram , Jawahar Kala Kendra, Jaipur. The expo was an extension to the expo held on 2nd November 2021 for Ayurveda day 2021 themed “Ayurveda for Poshan”. The main purpose of the event was to propagate and promote the idea of healthy Ayurveda nutrition amongst the general public of Rajasthan.
- Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences (CCRAS) has also conducted various activities including conduct of public lectures, Webinars, Distribution of Ayurvedic poshan recipes and guidelines, Ayurveda Nutrition Camps, Ayush Food Festival, Distribution of Medicinal plants having nutrition value (such as Amlaki etc.), Quiz/Poster/Essay competitions and Nukkadnatak at colleges and schools . CCRAS has developed a short Film on “You’re What You Eat- Ayurveda for Poshan” conveying the Scientific insights of Ayurveda in light of Poshan Abhiyan initiatives by the Ministry of Ayush.
CCRAS has also published “Nutritional Advocacy in Ayurveda – A Pictorial Guide” which is intended as ready reference for awareness about Ayurveda based nutritional principles and nutritional benefits of the different commonly used food items prescribed by Ayurveda classics among masses.
Under the ambit of focused theme of 06th Ayurveda Day“Ayurveda for Poshan”, CCRAS & its peripheral institutes has created awareness regarding AyurvedicAahar through National/State level Arogyamelas, Health camps, exhibitions particularly during celebrations of Ayurveda Day, Poshan Maah etc. and also through CCRAS outreach programs viz. Swasthya Rakshan Program (SRP), Schedule Caste Sub Plan (SCSP) Research Program, Tribal Health Care Research Program (THCRP), etc. in different states of the country. Further, CCRAS has developed research based formulations like Antarctica Teato be used as Rasayana /Nutrition Supplement and distributed widely during 06thAyurveda Day celebrations and ArogyaMelas.
This information was given by Minister of Ayush Shri Sarbananda Sonowal